Good pizza is a sensitive topic
This is a very sensitive topic so I will tread carefully. When you think of good pizza you think Italy, New Jersey, New York, and Chicago. Even then the pizza is not compatible with your keto diet. Those are just the facts no way around that. With that being said what if I were to tell you that you can still enjoy good tasting pizza while following the keto diet? Of course it’s not going to be Italy, New jersey, New York, or Chicago but the pizza is still very tasty and keto friendly.
Last night I was picking up a few things at Aldi’s for my kids’ snacks for the school week. I happen to run across a name brand chicago deep dish pizza that was in no way shape or form good for my keto. But now I had a craving for chicago deep dish pizza so what do I do? I keep a pretty stocked pantry of keto ingredients so aside from the tomatoes, I pretty much everything I needed to make a pizza.
So I sat in my car in Aldi’s parking lot while cold produce starting to get warm. I searched chicago deep dish recipes and I found the perfect one. All I had to do was replace the non keto ingredients with keto friendly ones.
Without further ado here is my Hollywood Keto Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Recipe 🤤 It is also grain-free, and gluten-free..
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Servings: 4 good sized slices
Ingredients for the crust:
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons keto honey substitute
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup whey protein isolate
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus extra (if needed) for the top of dough
Ingredients for the Toppings:
- 3/4 lb. cooked meat of your choice sausage, pepperoni, ham, bacon, etc.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 Oz Can Diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- Combine yeast, honey substitute, and water in a medium bowl and stir. Rest for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein isolate, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the olive oil and yeast mixture to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Form the dough into a ball in the bowl and rub olive oil all around the outsides.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Heat your oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 10-inch springform cake pan, cast iron skillet, or pie pan.
- Rub olive oil on your hands and spread the dough out into your pan/skillet.
- Make sure the dough covers the bottom and also push it up the sides so that the dough is no more than 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven and remove.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil, garlic, and onions.
- Saute for 3 minutes or until softened, then add in the diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, and red chili flakes.
- Cook for 10 more minutes until most of the liquid has cooked off and the tomatoes begin to break apart and become jammy.
- Assemble your pizza by placing half of the mozzarella cheese in the par-baked crust, followed by half of the cooked meat of your choice, and then half of the tomato sauce mixture.
- Add the remaining meat on top of the tomatoes, followed by the remaining cheese and the remaining tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan, then bake again for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the inside is hot, and the crust has turned golden brown.
Calories: 589 cal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 47g |
*Watch your macros as this might not be ideal for a lot of people on keto however it is a nice once in awhile treat not worrying about falling out of ketosis.
RELATED ARTICLE: Fat Dough Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
Thanks for following and keto on my fellow keto goers!